It can be easy to get swept up in the details of a wedding – the florals, the linens, candlelight, spending time with your favorite people in one place. There are so many details! But one of the most important elements is often overlooked – the wedding vows. It’s the magical moment when you pronounce your love and commitment to each other. It’s the start of the next chapter of your love story.
Thinking about writing your vows can be daunting and easy to push to the bottom of your to do list when there are so many other details to think about. However, this piece should take priority.
Below are some quick tips for writing your vows and how to make them personal.
1. Don’t wait until the week of the wedding; it will be hard to focus and you won’t have the opportunity to adequately craft your thoughts. Find a quiet place and create a list of special moments. Think about why you’re getting married, what do you miss when your partner is away, what makes your relationship work? Once you’ve put down some bullet points, put it down and take a break for a few days. You can then come back with a fresh mind and eloquently put these thoughts together.
2. Go back to the past and the memories you’ve shared. Looking through old photos or keepsakes will bring you back to the moment and the feelings you had.
3. Look online for inspiration, but make sure to put your spin on it.
4. Keep the vows to 2-3 minutes max – make it meaningful, make your most important points succinctly and add some humor when appropriate.
5. Once you’ve drafted your vows, practice, practice, practice. This will help you feel more comfortable when the big day comes.
If you tried everything and still can’t seem to find the right words, think about hiring someone to help you craft the perfect words. Send us an email or DM us for more information and recommendations!